Let me share with you the one thing they all found really helpful.
We talked about the things that were in their control such as
- their body language
- their beliefs about themselves
- their ability to make other choices
- what they could say back
- who they could go to for help
- what skills they could use to respond differently
- choosing to be with other children
- acting 'as if' - fake it until you make it - pretending not to care
It was remarkable how once they realised and accepted that
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got
they could actually take responsibility for responding differently and get a different outcome.